Thursday 30 April 2020

After tomorrow...

I’m not always positive. I’m optimistic.
I’m going to die one day but not tomorrow.
I strongly believe that humanity will survive the covid-19, and the next pandemic. I’m so sure that life after-covid-19 will be different. Will it be better? It depends on how we change to survive the covid-19.
I haven’t seen the whole team of 20 plus colleagues together since the end of February. And for the last 2 weeks, I see none of them. But I’m engaging with them almost daily, sometimes twice or thrice per day. We even manage to run workshops and training with 3 facilitators, each working from home. We also create digital contents for training purposes, with my camera and lighting setup in my tiny study room at home. My productivity is improving while I start to re-adjust my habits, coffee time and lunch time, with exercise time to keep fit.
What the after-covid-19 looks like? How do I see the future?
Saint Exupéry, famous French writer used to say:
"Pour ce qui est de l'avenir il ne s'agit pas de le prévoir, mais de le rendre possible"
Translating in English, it would be:
"As for the future, it is not a question of foreseeing it, but of making it possible"
Our customers are mostly companies that produce machinery and industry equipment, medical devices, oil and gas equipment, consumer products. On the production perspective, you can’t work from home for sure. We might add more robots, we might automate more.
That means we produce more robots. Labour shifts from final products to small and big robot, automated assembly lines.
Engineering team can definitively work from home. If engineers need to be working in one single location, they may be split into shift or alternate working day to avoid cross contamination. Engineers will leverage on connectivity to existing IT infrastructure. Companies may find that it would be better to move IT resources to cloud services providers.
From an IT equipment perspective, if engineers are working from home and if they are facing hardware failure, that means IT vendors need to have a strong and capable mobile services staff to engage with end-users at their home. Cost will certainly increase drastically. No, it’s not going to work.
Unless, engineers access software and storage on the cloud completely with just a browser. That means, engineers will only have a minimum equipment, not a high-end desktop or laptop, something easy to maintain, easy to replace. And temporary while waiting for replacement, engineers can use existing home-use equipment, or even their smart television set.
Software of the cloud
Storage on the cloud
Communication through internet (Phone landline is dead, phone call on mobile is also dead, smartphone via 4G/5G is King)
I need a platform like Facebook or WhatsApp to collaborate with my colleagues, but instead of a photo of the dish that I cook and eat (that’s true, we will dine out less often), I’m sharing notes, presentation, idea, 3D parts, simulation results. I want to use good project planning tools with my team members and partners.
3DEXPERIENCE has all the requirements that I need. It’s a platform with apps that I need, storage place for my documents, space to collaborate that can host 3D data, PDF, documents with revision control, approval process. And community, either public or private or secret, to share ideas, to post activity. It has a project planning tool, intuitive and easy to use. It can be used out-of-the-box, no installation or implementation. It connects with my existing SOLIDWORKS desktop. It brings my existing parts and assemblies to the cloud so I can start sharing and working with my team members.
Since I commute less to the office, I might think of selling my car and cycling to the office when the confinement is over (or Circuit Breaker as we call it in Singapore).
With the covid-19 situation, the sky is clearer, the atmosphere is cleaner, pollution is lower.
Only recently that I can hear birds chirping over the balcony, a very quiet environment with less cars on the road, less people on the train and bus. People queue up within a certain distance. 
Working from home with the internet and cloud platforms like 3DEXPERIENCE, we will certainly make the world a better place for our next generation.
That’s why I believe I’m optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment